Impact on Slums
||IMPACT ON SLUMS
Benefit 1: Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
• Secure tenure for women, men and children slum dwellers allows them to invest in their own housing and economic opportunities.
Benefit 2: Achieve universal primary education
• Inclusive policies, including adequate public transport, allows children to attend school.
• Children do better at school when they have a more secure home life and access to essential services such as water, sanitation, and electricity.
Benefit 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
• Girls are less likely to be kept out of school if adequate services reduce household workloads.
• Providing women with secure tenure and access to credit is key to improving household stability and income generation.
• Access to reproductive health information and services extends girls' education and provides opportunities to women. Such services are often lacking in peri-urban, slum, and informal settings.
Benefit 4: Reduce child mortality
Benefit 5: Improve maternal health
• Inclusive policies ensuring adequate housing and access to basic health services (including prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care; family planning services; and prevention of sexually transmitted infections) reduce health risks for mothers and children.
Benefit 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
• A variety of diseases can be prevented by reducing overcrowding, improving the provision of water and sanitation, and implementing proper drainage and control of disease vectors.
• Slum dwellers are at high risk of contracting tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS. Inclusive policies improve access to treatment.
Benefit 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
• The provision of good-quality water, sanitation drainage, and solid waste management has an immediate impact on the urban environment.
• Tree planting and open space programs improve climate control, comfort, and health in slums.
• Solar technology programs-supported by local, national, and international assistance-benefit slum dwellers and the wider city by increasing economic and environmental sustainability.
Benefit 8: Develop a global partnership for development
• Partnerships between slum dwellers, the private sector, and local government lay the foundations for sustainable local development.
• Slum dwellers, local governments, and other partners can best be supported by international development assistance provided on a programmatic, long-term basis.